Freshman Article of the Week (AotW) assignment: Due each Thursday
Each week, students are required to read a different news article of their choice (unless otherwise specified by Mr. Bondy). Afterward, each student must complete the following on a lined sheet of paper:
- Include the title of the article and author.
- Summarize the article in a half page or more.
- Write a reaction (your thoughts) to the article of a quarter page or more.
- Incorporate 1 quote into your writing either as part of the summary, reaction, or both. Use quotation marks.
- Use 2 or more vocabulary words from their current 20-word list in your assignment. Vocabulary words need to be highlighted or underlined.
Newspapers and magazines are also excellent sources for your articles.
Here are some other options:
- New York Times Kids Blog: http://www.nytimes.com/section/learning
- Tween Tribune: http://tweentribune.com/ or https://www.tweentribune.com/category/teen/
- Epic Books: https://www.getepic.com/
- Kids Discover: http://www.kidsdiscover.com/quick-reads/
- Common Lit: http://www.commonlit.org/
- ReadWorks: http://www.readworks.org/
- Starfall: http://www.starfall.com/n/level-c/index/play.htm?f
- Breaking News English: http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com
- For the Teachers: http://www.fortheteachers.org/reading_skills/
- ThinkCERCA: http://www.thinkcerca.com/
- News in Levels: http://www.newsinlevels.com/
- Unite for Literacy: http://www.uniteforliteracy.com/
- Bookbox: https://www.youtube.com/user/bookboxinc
- Center for the Study of Adult Literacy: http://csal.gsu.edu/content/are-you-learner